The Jubilee Memorial Animation Centre is widely made use of for conducting retreats, prayer meetings, seminars, training programmes, conscientization programmes, conventions for Priests, Religious, Catechists, Catechism teachers, Members of Pious Association, School Teachers, Doctors, Lawyers, Social Workers, Youth students, etc. We have also another Animation centre, situated near the International Tourist Centre – Kovalam, constructed for the same purpose as mentioned above. Besides we have a Theological Centre within the Archdiocesan Seminary campus itself to conduct short-term courses on Theology, Bible, Liturgy, Catechism, etc, mainly for the Laity.
The Kristu Jayanti Jubilee Memorial Animation Centre situated near the International Tourist Centre – Kovalam, constructed for different animation programmes of the Archdiocese.
Jubilee Memorial Hospital and Health Centre is the only health care centre owned and managed by this Archdiocese. It provides treatment and relief to many economically backward people. Under its auspicies, free medical camps are conducted in several rural areas of this Archdiocese.
Louis Catholic Hostel, a renowned Hostel for students at the University level provides a congenial atmosphere for higher studies and spiritual growth. Steps are being taken to start two residential schools for boys and girls. Brilliant, talented but economically backward students are identified and brought to these centres and provided with all facilities to study and to develop their talents in the best way possible. Thus in future the Archdiocese will have a large number of young people who will be capable of climbing even the highest ladder of society.
This Archdiocese does not have a Major Seminary for itself. Seminarians are sent to various Major Seminaries around India; the majority being sent to St. Joseph’s Pontifical Seminary, Alwaye, owned by the Kerala Region (Latin) Archbishops’ Council. The Archdiocesan Minor Seminary, St. Vincent’s Seminary, is the principal centre of formation where 82 students in 3 different groups are trained to discern their vocation and further strengthened to follow it up.
The College is being managed by the Trivandrum Social Service Society, through a Governing Body and an Advisory Board consisting of Educationalists and Professionals. This Institution was established in June 2001 under the self financing scheme of the Government of Kerala and is under the control of the Trivandrum Latin Catholic Arch Diocese. His Excellency Rt. Rev. Dr. M. Soosa Pakiam, the Arch Bishop of Trivandrum is the Patron of the college.
This College was started in the year 1978 by the Thoothoor Vicariate Fathers under the initiative of Very Rev Fr Francis Borgia Peter. His Grace Most Rev Dr.Jacob Acharaparambil who granted permission to start college for the fishermen community of the Vicar district of Thoothoor. Msgr Mark netto, the Episcopal Vicar Capitullar also encourged very Rev Fr Borgia peter to begin the College under the purpose of Thoothoor Fishermen community.
A glance :
St Jude’s college, formely known as sreedhar Hindu College, was bid in auction by Changanasserry diocese from the Court Receiver. . Very Rev Fr Borgia peter, Thoothoor Forane Vicar along with other forane priests, met the Changanseery bishop and prayed to leave this college to the Thoothoor Forane for the welfare of the fishermen communuty for their education need. The College is within the territory of Thoothoor. His Grace Most Rev Dr Powethhil, the arch bishop of Changanasserry was kind enough to state” If the Bishop of Trivandrum” would like to buy give it to him, this was the words said by the bishop to the priest incharge of the district. Accordingly the Thoothoor Forane priests formed the society namely” Coastal Education society” in order to buy the college in auction. There after Rev Fr Borgia peter formed seven More priests from diocese of Trivandrum and invited Rev Fr Jesudas, and Rev Fr Thobias from Kottar diocese to join this venture to help them in language for the smoother function. Later they named the society as ” Latin Catholic Fishermen Educational Society” (LCFES) and got registered as 13/78 under Tamil Nadu Society Act with 10 priests as the Board of Directors( 8 priets from Thoothoor forane and 2 priests from Colachal Forane. The College was bought in auction from the Court by Very rev fr Borgia peter on behalf of the LCFES. The College was statrted in the year 1979 and got affiliated to Kamaraj university and aided was granted by then Chief Minister Most Honoboral person MGR by his great love for the welfare of the fishermen community.
Today a thousands of pupils and 70% percentage fishermen communuty students are studying and alltogether 1400 students are studying. Today a lot of students who passed through this college are in very good posstion and holds great offices in many parts in the world.
The Great effort of Rev Fr Francis Borgia peter’s interest will never forgotten by the fishermen community.
St. Joseph’s Higher Secondary School had its meticulous beginning in the year 1857 by the Carmelite Missionaries. It was recognized in 1905 through a Government declaration by the then Divan Shri Madhava Rao. After the Carmelites and Salesians, Jesuits took over the golden reign of the institution. Now the school is under the auspicious management of the Arch Diocese of Thiruvananthapuram.